Endothelial cells line the inside of every blood vessel in the body. They form a…
Depending on the type and extent of surgery one undergoes, the healing time can be anything from mere days to months. Factors that play a role in surgical wound healing include: any pre-existing medical conditions such as diabetes, how fastidious the patient is in cleaning the wound, adequate rest during the healing period, age, gender, stress, obesity, medications, alcoholism, smoking and nutrition.
Accelerating the healing process is a very desirable outcome and can be assisted with the use of red and infrared light therapy.
How will light therapy help treat surgical wounds?
Typically wounds go through the following healing process:
- Stage 1 — Hemostasis stage (bleeding stops): Proteins in your blood act like glue to make the platelets clump together and stick to the opening in the blood vessel to form a clot and stop bleeding from the wound area.
- Stage 2 — Defensive/inflammatory stage: Blood platelets release special chemicals that cause inflammation, often resulting in swelling and redness around the wound area. This stage often lasts four to six days.
- Stage 3 — Proliferative stage (skin rebuilds): This is when your body starts building new skin cells, which includes providing the wound with oxygen and nutrients it needs to heal properly. Stage 3 can be between four to 24 days.
- Stage 4 — Maturation phase: This final stage of healing mainly consists of the new skin becoming stronger. This final stage can take anywhere from 21 days to two years.
Photizo Skincare’s red and infrared LEDs help to trigger natural cellular photo-biochemical reactions in the skin, following surgery.
Photizo Skincare helps to treat acute and chronic wounds by:
- Stimulating blood flow, which reduces the appearance of bruising
- Cleaning up dead cells
- Increasing microcirculation and formation of new capillaries
- Boosting collagen production
- Reducing inflammation
- Reducing post-surgery pain
- Improving the appearance of scars.